Sunday, August 4, 2013

DIY Turning Something Old To New

Now, before I begin don't make fun of me because this may seem like a no brainer but hey I thought it was a pretty good idea and I had to share my moment of creativity... :)
A couple weeks ago my mom gave me this picture frame she's had for 10 years and just didn't have a spot for it anymore.
I forgot to take a before picture, but the whole palm tree was basically a 70's looking faux wood, as you can see in the picture below...
 The best part about this DIY is that It's free! I already had the item I wanted to redo and I found the paint in my garage.

Here is what I did to turn this 70's themed wall décor into something worth hanging on the wall!


Materials:

  1. Newspaper
  2. Paint of your choice
  3. brushes
  4. Item you want to redo
  5. Tape {optional}
  6. Sand Paper {optional}

Directions:

  1. Lay newspapers down to protect what ever surface you're working on from getting unwanted paint on it.
  2. Grab all your materials and lay them over the newspapers.
  3. Remove glass or plastic in the picture spots.
  4. If necessary, tape edges or spots you don't want paint to get on or you could tape a pattern {stripes, chevron, polka dots, etc.} on your item and make it a bit more funky.
  5. If your item has a very smooth surface, you may need to use sand paper to scuff up the surface a bit so that the paint adheres better to the surface of the item.
  6. Paint away!
  7. Let dry 24 hours.
  8. After 24 hours, if you can see through the paint or your first paint job was a little messy {like mine} then you should probably give it a second coat.
  9. Do a second coat of paint
  10. Let dry another 24 hours
  11. If dry to touch, put in pictures and find a spot to hang. 


The kind of before picture...



Close up of the not-so-great original faux wood...yuck!!




I'm just painting away :)


Paint job round uno


In case you wanna know the color...


 Here's the gorgeous turquoise color I used...



The finished project {before drying}


The completed project!
It's amazing what a little paint and time can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing the love by leaving a comment! Each and every word makes my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...